Saturday, May 21, 2011

Anger Management

Anger is an emotion related to one's psychological interpretation of having been offended, wronged or denied and a tendency to undo that by retaliation.
Being angry is not always bad. Anger is a normal human emotion, which prepares a person for dealing with the anticipated threat. Anger becomes a problem when due to various factors it becomes excessive, persistent, poorly controlled and starts interfering a person’s usual routine or social life.


Anger Management Therapies are tailor made as per the requirements of the clients. The personality, psychological mindedness of the clients, perspective on life and how the client has led one’s life is all crucial for determining the progress of therapeutic intervention. The number of sessions depends upon the severity of the problem. It can range from 5-10 sessions with adequate spacing in between.

Cognitive Restructuring is the treatment of choice. It is the process of guided self- discovery whereby the client realises that anger is just one of the many responses that can be given to any dissatisfying situation. Anger is felt when some goal is not achieved, things do not function the way they are planned or when dissatisfaction is felt over one’s life. The result is frustration and subsequently anger is felt. In Cognitive restructuring the clients are made to see the power of cognition as to how it can affect behaviour either positively/negatively which thereby determines the consequence. Cognitions are nothing but the belief system of the client. The situation is not held responsible for the action but the thoughts and beliefs are. One experiences anger and expresses it because there is fear of loss of control over the situation. This inability within oneself to tackle the situation fruitfully is hidden behind the facade of getting anger and hiding the insecure selves. So belief is generated within oneself and the clients are made to realise that they are not passive recipient of the harsh environmental forces but with ones beliefs, can change the consequences. Clients are made to realise with the help of techniques of Reflective listening, Motivational interviewing, Socratic questioning and empathetic understanding that anger at some point can serve some functional utility but if crosses the threshold then can be self destructive and debilitating. Other better options also exist which the clients fail to see which are then made more visible therapeutically. If one changes the belief regarding a situation and doesn’t feel threatened, then the consequences can also change.

A-B-C Model of anger management works by the understanding that the anger is a behaviour which has antecedents (i.e. the situations and conditions leading to Behaviour of being angry) and consequences (i.e. the after-effects of anger, e.g. being angry repeatedly can further sour a strained relationship, increasing chances of being angry). By manipulation of these antecedents (e.g. by trying to repair a strained relation) and consequences(e.g. delaying an angry response) in such a way that decreases the likelihood of thebehaviour of being angry.

Stress Inoculation Therapy is an option too, where the clients are inoculated against stress and trained to deal with stress effectively as the need arises. Anger is just one of the responses to frustration.

Mindfulness training where clients are trained towards self awareness and understanding that both good and bad are parts of the big picture and not isolated phenomena, leading to less violent reactions.

Metacognitive therapy is a higher order form of therapy where clients are trained to think about one’s own thoughts and to develop discrepancy between self owned thoughts. The clients can see, as a result, the fallacies in one’s own thinking process.

Other techniques are also taught which helps the clients to channelize their anger more productively. When in anger, analogy is given of a traffic signal. The clients are encouraged to “stop, look, think and act” which when followed can save oneself from accidents. Withholding ones immediate response can give some time to think and this can save oneself from impulsive decisions. One can drink a glass of water or box out ones anger on the bed are probably withdraw from the situation which can at least bring some momentary relief.
ANGER is only one letter short of DANGER

5 comments:

  1. For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Jennifer Bishop, a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Boca Raton, Florida. My speciality is working with children and their parents, providing a safe and nurturing environment that allows for healing to occur inside of relationships. This allows children and families to soar above the troubles that face them, finding
    the happiness they long for. Together, we can find healing and lasting happiness.

    I have dedicated myself to helping adults and children through some of life's toughest struggles to achieve fulfillment and empowerment. I hold experience, expertise and unwavering dedication to addressing a wide range of areas. With my help, you will break away from what binds you and excel beyond your expectations.

    Schedule your FREE phone consultation TODAY! Jennifer@mysouljunkie.com or call 561-408-1098

    Behavioral Health Counselor | Licensed Mental Health Therapist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is very useful, I am truly to this blog which is specially design about the Anger Management.
    Great job.

    Anger Management

    ReplyDelete
  4. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR.TAKUTA) THAT HELP
    ME GET MY EX HUSBAND BACK, AM SO HAPPY
    My name is LUCY SETHI from USA .I am here to
    give testimony on how I got my husband back.
    My husband left me for no reason 3 years ago.
    He moved in with another woman, I felt like
    killing myself, my life became very bitter and
    sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me
    about a great spell caster that is very good and,
    he said he gave him some lucky numbers that he
    played in a lottery and he won. I didn't believe it
    because I've worked with so many of them and it
    didn't work. He begged me further so I decided
    to try this great spell caster called DR TAKUTA. I
    still didn't believe. I used the spell he gave me
    and the next day I received a call from my
    darling husband Thomas last month. He
    apologized and came back to me. He even gave
    me 10,000USD as a means of compensating me.
    I'm very happy now. please i will advise you to contact him
    now and see for your self his Email is via____
    takutaspellalter@gmail.com or whatsapp him
    through the following contact on +27788634102


    Dr.TAKUTA also cures:
    1. HEPATITIS A,B,C
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3.DIABETES
    4.STROKE.
    5.HIV/AIDS HERBAL CURE, STDS and STI
    6. MARRIAGE COUNSELLING
    7.LOVE SPELL CASTING
    8.JOB PROMOTION SPELLS
    9.MARITAL PROBLEM
    10.MAGIC MONEY SPELLS

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW DR. UNEME brought back my ex lover unemespellben@gmail.com
    Am DONNA, am from UK. After been in a relationship with my Boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl. of a truth, I really love this guy and never can I imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, I came across some Testimonies on a website about this great spell caster called (Dr. UNEME) any persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex lover back, I had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr UNEME I equally want to use this opportunity to Tell/Advice to as many who need their ex back, if you need his help you can Contact him through
    EMAIL: unemespellben@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM @ +2348143813120


    Thank You Once Again Dr.UNEME


    ReplyDelete